Presented by Amy Salerno, MS CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionMedical trauma is newly understood as a distinct expression of post-traumatic stress arising from exposure to healthcare. In the age of COVID-19, with record numbers of harrowing and prolonged ICU stays, medical trauma is on the rise. This course will prepare rehab therapists to identify risk factors and reduce the harmful effects of therapy procedures […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level; Related Area).
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID 01507. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU. Introductory, Occupational Therapy Foundational Knowledge.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define medical trauma, including severity levels and major contributing factors.
- List 3 ways to mitigate the patient's experience of trauma as it is happening.
- Define the effects of medical trauma of the patient and family in rehabilitation practice.
- 0:00 - Introduction to medical trauma (MT): definitions, terms, and recent research.
- 0:10 - MT in key clinical populations including stroke, heart attack, and chronic illness
- 0:20 - Factors which contribute to the experience of trauma in the medical setting
- 0:30 - Intervention strategies to informally assess and manage MT in physical, occupational, and speech therapy
- 0:40 - Case studies and video interview with a medical trauma survivor
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Presenter’s husband Anthony Salerno will be interviewed as a case study.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.