Presented by Jessica R. Berry, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionThis course will examine the cultural & linguistic norms of the Gullah Geechee people. It will provide an overview of the language and cultural nuances that an SLP who is new to the region should expect from their clients. We will examine appropriate social and pragmatic responses to the culture and ways that clinicians can […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level; Professional Area).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the development of the Gullah Geechee culture and language.
- Identify appropriate pragmatic responses to their client's cultural norms.
- List ways that they can improve their response and communication with Gullah Geechee clients.
- 0:00 - Overview of Gullah Geechee
- 0:10 - Language norms for Gullah Geechee clients
- 0:20 - Pragmatic and social norms for Gullah Geechee clients
- 0:35 - Recommendations for inclusion of Gullah Geechee references during intervention
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter receives a salary from South Carolina State University.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- The presenter is a native Gullah Geechee and has lived experiences that shape her perspective on service delivery.
- The presenter is a member of the American Speech Language Hearing Association.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.