Presented by Jerome Quellier MS, CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionPatients with tracheostomies are discharging into the community with increased frequency, challenging medical/rehab staff to provide highly skilled care for a fragile population. This course is designed to create a knowledge base for providers working with clients with tracheostomies and will provide a detailed review of decisions around initial placement of a trach, basics of […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level; Professional Area).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe 3 advantages/disadvantages of tracheostomy tube placement.
- Identify the individual parts of a trach tube and their functions.
- Describe 3 common vent settings used for in-line speaking valve use.
- Name 3 advantages to placing a speaking valve for communication and swallowing.
- 0:00 - Overview head/neck anatomy, decision making regrading placement of a trach, surgical techniques
- 0:15 - Explore tracheostomy anatomy and functions
- 0:25 - Review speaking valve function, ideal candidacy, and assessment
- 0:40 - Outline vent settings for speaking valve use in-line with vent
- 0:45 - Discuss the advantages a speaking valve has upon voice and swallowing
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - Course ends + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Instructor is a PESI Education Independent Contractor – Lecturer, and lectures a full 6-hour course on trach/vent for PESI.
- Instructor is an employee of Regions Hospital.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Instructor is a member of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Instructor holds Minnesota SLP Licensure.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.