Presented by John V. Rider, PhD, OTR/L, MSCS
Course DescriptionLiving with an ostomy requires significant modifications to daily routines and ostomy care requires specialized knowledge. Occupational therapists must consider the physical and psychosocial impact of ostomy surgery. This course will provide an introduction to ostomy care across rehabilitation settings to prepare occupational therapists to properly care for clients with an ostomy.
Meet Your Presenter
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 03971. This Distance Learning-Independent and Distance Learning-Interactive is offered at .1 CEUs, introductory level, OT Service Delivery. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the three main types of ostomies and the characteristics of normal stomas.
- Identify essential components of the pouching system and the process of emptying and changing pouching systems.
- Identify essential domains for the evaluation and treatment of clients with an ostomy.
- 0:00 - Overview of ostomy, prevalence and significance
- 0:10 - Types of ostomies and characteristics of normal stoma
- 0:25 - Introduction to pouch systems and clinical management
- 0:40 - Evaluating and treating a client with an ostomy with emphasis on OTs scope of practice
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried faculty member of Touro University Nevada and Good Life Therapy, LLC.
- Presenter is a consultant for Therapy Insights and creates occupational therapy content.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.