Presented by Lauren Ruffrage, MS CCC-SLP, TSSLD
Course DescriptionThis course will provide a foundation for understanding the significance of airway health and how it ultimately links back to oral dysfunction in the first years of life. It is every early interventionists’ responsibility to know and act upon the signs and symptoms of airway function disorders in children. Resources will be reviewed for next […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe your role as an early intervention provider in airway health.
- Identify red flags for airway function disorders in the early intervention population (0-5 years old).
- List three barriers to treatment of airway function disorders.
- List three resources to learn more about pediatric airway health.
- 0:00 - Define upper/lower airway, airway patency, and aspiration
- 0:05 - Nasal breathing vs. mouth breathing
- 0:10 - Why we mouth breathe
- 0:15 - Sleep disordered breathing: types and red flags
- 0:20 - Sleep disordered breathing: impacts on development
- 0:25 - Research study on sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), American Dental Association
- 0:30 - How did we get here? epigenetics and industrialization
- 0:35 - Airway connection to feeding and oral function
- 0:40 - Orofacial myofunctional therapy and the tongue's role in our airway
- 0:45 - Barriers to treatment of airway function disorders
- 0:50 - Resources for professionals and parents
- 0:55 - Q/A
- 1:0 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Presenter is a member of the Myo Membership created by Hallie Balkin. I have been interviewed on a podcast episode by Children's Airway First Foundation.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.