Med SLP Bundle: Stages of the Swallow
This bundle comes with 5 resources for speech-language pathologists working with people who have dysphagia. Each resource focuses on a different phase of the swallow. This bundle contains these resources:
- Oral Prep and Oral Stages of the Swallow
This resource is designed for speech-language pathologists addressing dysphagia and describes the oral components of normal swallowing in adults.
Just how exactly is the swallow triggered? This handout describes the oral and pharyngeal sequences involved in a successful swallow. The handout also discusses swallow delay as well as how speech therapy can improve swallow initiation and reduce the risk of dysphagia and associated aspiration.
Disorders of the Pharyngeal Stage of Swallowing
In order to create goals and a plan of care, speech-language pathologists must understand the reasoning behind the disorders that they see. This handout provides a table of disorders that may be observed during the pharyngeal stage of swallowing during an objective swallowing evaluation, the cause behind those observations, and more information related to each disorder.
The Pharyngeal Phase of the Swallow
This material describes the pharyngeal components of normal swallowing in adults. Broken down piece by piece and taking up 2 pages, every detail of the anatomy and physiology of this enormously important and very fast phase of the swallow is explained.
The Esophagus and the Speech-Language Pathologist
This material describes a speech-language pathologist’s role in screening for/being a part of a multidisciplinary team to treat esophageal dysphagia.
Full access PDF is $25. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
Tech specs: Digital download. 8 pages + cover page. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 34 MB.