Live Discussion: 8 Questions to Transform Your Clinical Practice
Therapy Fix subscribers: Sign up here.
In this live discussion, we will explore the differences between the traditional medical model and the social/empowerment medical model, discuss how the level of health literacy is linked to the quality of patient outcomes, and discuss how to use the social/empowerment model to interact with patients and set functional, person-centered therapy goals.
Presented by Megan Berg, MA, CCC-SLP
Date: Monday, May 24, 2021
Time: 3 pm pacific | 4 pm mountain | 5 pm central | 6 pm eastern
Megan Berg, MA, CCC-SLP is the founder of Therapy Insights, a company that creates resources for rehabilitation clinicians rooted in evidence-based practice, person-centered care, health literacy, and lifelong learning.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Speech-language pathologists working with people who have aphasia.
There will be opportunities for interactive discussion throughout this course. Come with your camera on!
0:00 - Introduction and welcome
0:10 - Compliance: What does this word mean to you?
0:20 - The traditional medical model and its historical roots
0:30 - The social/empowerment model
0:35 - 8 questions that can transform your clinical practice towards the empowerment model
0:40 - Exploring these 8 questions through the lens of two case studies
1:00 - End course
Instructional level: Intermediate (Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Define the differences between the traditional medical model and the social/empowerment medical model.
- Connect the level of health literacy to the quality of patient outcomes.
- Describe how to use the social/empowerment model to interact with patients and set functional, person-centered therapy goals.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- This course is offered as a live course only.
- Presenter is the owner of Therapy Insights.
- Presenter has a bias towards the social/empowerment model of healthcare.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- A short (400 words minimum, 1,500 words max) essay provided to the course instructor via email answering the following questions:
- Which model of healthcare (traditional or empowerment) is more prevalent in your workplace setting? Would you like to see this change? Why or why not?
- List two methods of improving health literacy. How does your facility work towards improving health literacy? Is there anything your facility can start doing to further improve health literacy rates?
- When setting goals with your patients, how can you use the social/empowerment model to create functional, person-centered goals?
- Essay needs to be completed within one week of live course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.