Handout: You Swallow Spiders in Your Sleep and 10 Other Swallowing Misconceptions
This handout is designed for speech-language pathologists needing to set the record straight on the complexities of swallow precautions and the need for all precautions and strategies to be individualized on a patient-by-patient basis. The handout addresses the following misconceptions with evidence-based information around the following:
- Chin tuck is not for everyone.
- Not everyone with dysphagia needs thickened liquids.
- Pureed does not equal thickened. Thickened does not equal pureed.
- The straw confusion.
- Oral sponges and oral care.
- Lack of teeth and oral care.
- Feeding tubes and aspiration.
- Hidden thin liquids- ice cream, juicy fruit, soups, etc
- Not coughing doesn't always mean no dysphagia
- Coughing doesn't always mean dysphagia
Included in: Bundle: Dysphagia Patient, Staff, and Family Education.
Tech specs: Digital download. 2 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 2.1 MB.