Handout: What Nursing Staff Needs to Know About Swallowing Disorders and Swallow Precautions
This 5-page handout is designed to assist speech-language pathologists with staff education and training around dysphagia knowledge and precautions. The handout includes information about:
- Dysphagia risks
- The qualifications and role of the SLP
- Aspiration risks
- Red flags of dysphagia
- Strategies SLPs use to reduce risks
- Basic swallow anatomy
- Strategies nurses and CNAs can use to help people with dysphagia
- How to prepare thickened liquids with instructions for powder thickeners and gel thickeners
- Signs and symptoms of dysphagia by common diagnoses
- The importance of oral care
- The risk of aspiration pneumonia in the context of oral care, aspiration risk, and auto-immune status
Included in: Bundle: Dysphagia Patient, Staff, and Family Education.
Tech specs: Digital download. 5 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 18.8 MB.