Handout: What Nursing Staff Needs to Know About Swallowing Disorders and Swallow Precautions
This 5-page handout is designed to assist speech-language pathologists with staff education and training around dysphagia knowledge and precautions. The handout includes information about:
- Dysphagia risks
- The qualifications and role of the SLP
- Aspiration risks
- Red flags of dysphagia
- Strategies SLPs use to reduce risks
- Basic swallow anatomy
- Strategies nurses and CNAs can use to help people with dysphagia
- How to prepare thickened liquids with instructions for powder thickeners and gel thickeners
- Signs and symptoms of dysphagia by common diagnoses
- The importance of oral care
- The risk of aspiration pneumonia in the context of oral care, aspiration risk, and auto-immune status
Included in: Bundle: Dysphagia Patient, Staff, and Family Education.
Full access PDF is $24. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
MIX & MATCH, BUNDLE & SAVE: Get $2 off this product when you have 2 All-Access PDFs in your cart. Get $3 off this product when you have 3 All-Access PDFs in your cart.
Discount applied automatically at checkout.
If you purchase 5 color copies, 5 printed color copies will be delivered to your mailbox. Does not include access to PDF file.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
Tech specs: Digital download. 5 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 18.8 MB.