Handout: Korsakoff Syndrome
This handout is designed for patients and families who are facing Korsakoff syndrome, a chronic memory disorder caused by severe deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B-1).
If you've ever seen the movie 50 first dates, you have a sense for what it's like to interact with someone who has Korsakoff syndrome. Korsakoff syndrome is the result of severe Thiamine (vitamin B-1) deficiency. Within 2-3 weeks of decreased intake and resulting thiamine depletion, areas of the brain with the highest thiamine content and turnover demonstrate cellular impairment and injury.
This type of memory loss can be devastating for patients and their families. While there is no cure for Korsakoff syndrome, there are excellent compensatory and adaptive strategies that speech-language pathologists can implement in order to increase independence, reduce reliance on caregivers, and ultimately help these people re-integrate into the community and live as independent of a life as possible.
Approximately 80% of people who have Korsakoff syndrome go undiagnosed and untreated (Kopelman et al, 2009). As a speech-language pathologist, you can know the signs and symptoms and be the first to refer to appropriate care to reduce the risk of unnecessary institutionalization of these people.
- The Evolution and Treatment of Korsakoff's Syndrome: Out of Sight, Out of Mind? by Thomson et al, 2012.
- The Korsakoff Syndrome: Clinical Aspects, Psychology and Treatment by Kopelman, et al (2009).
- Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome by Zubaran et al, 1997.
- Management of alcohol Korsakoff syndrome by Smith and Audrey, 1999.
Included in: Bundle: Brain Injury Handouts.
This therapy intervention visual is designed for therapists addressing /f/ and /v/ sounds during phonological therapy. Divided into initial, medial, and final words for both /f/ and /v/ with engaging pictures.
Full access PDF is $8. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
MIX & MATCH, BUNDLE & SAVE: All Full-Access PDFs are discounted when you bundle:
- 1 for $8
- 2 for $12 ($6 each)
- 3 for $15 ($5 each)
Discount applied automatically at checkout.
If you purchase 20 color copies, 20 printed color copies will be delivered to your mailbox. Does not include access to PDF file.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
TECH SPECS: Digital download (12.7 MB). PDF format. 8.5x11 inches, 2 pages.