Course Webinar: Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: Rehabilitation Concepts for Occupational Therapists
Presented by John V. Rider, MS, OTR/L, MSCS, CEAS, CPAM
Originally presented: Tuesday, October 20, 2020
John (Johnny) Rider is an Assistant Professor at Touro University Nevada and a PhD candidate at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, studying Interdisciplinary Health Sciences. He has worked with clients across the lifespan in home health, outpatient, and inpatient rehabilitation settings. He has completed advanced practice training in joint replacement rehabilitation and presented on upper extremity orthopedic conditions such as scapular dyskinesis, upper crossed syndrome, and shoulder arthroplasties.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Occupational therapists working with clients who are recovering from Total Should Arthroplasty.
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 00810. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU. Intermediate, Foundational Knowledge.
0:00 - Overview of shoulder anatomy
0:10 - Overview of the glenohumeral joint
0:15 - Overview of Total Shoulder Arthroplasty (TSA)
0:20 - Overview of TSA surgical procedure
0:30 - Phases of TSA rehabilitation
0:50 - Value of OT in TSA rehabilitation
0:55 - Q/A session
1:00 - Course ends
Instructional level: Intermediate (Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.)
Course pre-requisites: None.
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Describe relevant anatomy of the shoulder joint.
- Describe the total shoulder arthroplasty surgical procedure and associated post-operative rehabilitation precautions.
- Describe the key principles in shoulder arthroplasty rehabilitation including expected outcomes and evidence-based rehabilitation guidelines.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on October 21, 2020.
- The course will be available for purchase as a recorded course until October 21, 2025.
- Once you register, you will have 30 days to access and complete the course.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Presenter is employed by Touro University Nevada.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.
- Once the exam is completed and you have provided feedback about the course, you will receive an emailed certificate of completion with course title, course instructor name/title, learning objectives, your name, your license number (if desired), and a signature from the CE Task Force director confirming completion of course.
Special accommodations: Please email us with any special needs (e.g., people with hearing loss, people with learning disabilities, etc) prior to the event.
Complaint policy: In the event that an individual is not satisfied with the organization’s continuing education program, we request a formal letter of complaint from the individual that outlines their concerns in writing. For more information, please read our full complaint policy.