Course Webinar: Rehabilitation After Medical Trauma: Reinvent the Heal
Presented by Amy Salerno, MS CCC-SLP
Date: Friday, December 18, 2020
Time: 10 am pacific | 11 am mountain | 12 pm central | 1 pm eastern
Amy Salerno, MS CCC-SLP has served adults as a speech-language pathologist for 8 years. Specializing in rehabilitation, she became passionate about supporting medically complex patients and those managing chronic conditions. Amy’s clinical experience became personal as her husband recovered from a brain tumor which left him with communication and swallow difficulties, solidifying her passion for person-centered care with families as integral partners.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Rehabilitation clinicians, including speech, occupational, and physical therapists who work with adults in rehabilitation settings.
0:00 — Introduction to medical trauma (MT): definitions, terms, and recent research
0:10 — MT in key clinical populations including stroke, heart attack, and chronic illness
0:20 — Factors which contribute to the experience of trauma in the medical setting
0:30 — Intervention strategies to informally assess and manage MT in physical, occupational, and speech therapy
0:40 — Case studies and video interview with a medical trauma survivor
0:50 — Q/A Session
1:00 — Course ends
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID 1507. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU. Introductory, Occupational Therapy Foundational Knowledge.
ASHA subject code: Service Delivery Associated With Speech, Language, Hearing, and Related Disorders – 7010
ASHA content area: R—Related: Study pertaining to the understanding of human behavior, both typical and atypical, as well as services available from related professions that apply to the contemporary practices of audiology and/or speech-language pathology.
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Course pre-requisites: None.
Key learning outcomes:
- Define medical trauma, including severity levels and major contributing factors
- List 3 ways to mitigate the patient's experience of trauma as it is happening
- Define the effects of medical trauma of the patient and family in rehabilitation practice
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on December 19, 2020.
- The course will be available for purchase as a recorded course until December 19, 2025.
- Once you register, you will have 30 days to access and complete the course.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter’s husband Anthony Salerno will be interviewed as a case study.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.
- Once the exam is completed and you have provided feedback about the course, you will receive an emailed certificate of completion with course title, course instructor name/title, learning objectives, your name, your license number (if desired), and a signature from the CE Task Force director confirming completion of course.
Special accommodations: Please email us with any special needs (e.g., people with hearing loss, people with learning disabilities, etc) prior to the event.
Complaint policy: In the event that an individual is not satisfied with the organization’s continuing education program, we request a formal letter of complaint from the individual that outlines their concerns in writing. For more information, please read our full complaint policy.
Refund policy in the event that a participant cancels their registration.
In the event that a participant/subscriber registers for the live course and then cancels participation, no refund will be provided. The participant will have the opportunity to access the recorded presentation at no additional cost as part of their subscription or registration fee.