Course Webinar: Low Vision Rehabilitation: The Basics and More
Course description: This course will explore the common visual diseases seen by occupational therapy practitioners and examine how they affect clients' occupational performance along with identifying various methods to maximize functional vision. Pros and cons of optical and non-optical devices will be provided as well as beneficial environment modifications and intervention examples of using remaining senses as compensation for low vision.
Presented by Theresa Smith, OTR, PhD, CLVT
Date: Monday, July 19th 2021
Time: 9 am pacific | 10 am mountain | 11 am central | 12 pm eastern
Dr. Theresa Smith is an occupational therapist with 28 years of experience with multiple degrees in occupational therapy. She has taught occupational therapy at the master’s level for 21 years and at the doctorate level for 6 years. Additionally, she is a certified low vision therapist and has been involved in researching low vision rehabilitation since 2007. She developed the Low Vision Independence Measure which has been validated and shown responsive to occupational therapy. Dr. Smith has also had the honor of presenting her research findings regionally, nationally, and internationally.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Occupational therapists, physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and certified occupational therapy assistants that work with adults with low vision in various rehabilitation settings.
Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID #02653. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU.
0:00: Introduction, prevalence, & definition of low vision.
0:05: Common vision diseases seen by practitioners, their effects on occupational performance, & interventions.
0:20: The occupational therapy evaluation.
0:25: Pros and cons of optical devices.
0:35: Non optical devices and the use of all senses.
0:45: Environmental modifications to maximize independence.
0:55: Question & answers.
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Identify how common vision diseases affect occupational performance.
- Show how other senses can be used to compensate for low vision.
- Describe the pros and cons of optical devices.
- List important environmental modifications for clients with low vision.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on July 20, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until July 18, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried faculty member at Texas Woman's University who conducts research related to the content of this presentation.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.