Course Webinar: A Deeper Dive Into Discourse-Level Analysis and Treatment for Aphasia
Course description: This course is designed to walk participants through the process of collecting, transcribing, and scoring a language sample for a variety of discourse analyses that can be performed when working with people with aphasia. Discourse-level treatment protocols will also be reviewed, with specific examples given of how these protocols can be utilized to meet clients’ participation-based goals.
Presented by Brett McCardel, MS, CCC-SLP
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2021
Time: 4 pm pacific | 5 pm mountain | 6 pm central | 7 pm eastern
Brett McCardel, MS, CCC-SLP, is the owner and founder of Archways - Aphasia Rehabilitation Services, a private practice based in Seattle, WA that specializes in providing speech and language services to people with aphasia. He has worked with people with aphasia across the continuum of care and across a variety of service-delivery models (including telehealth and intensive aphasia programs). He is passionate about aphasia advocacy and promoting a Life Participation Approach to Aphasia.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Speech-language pathologists working with people who have aphasia.
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
0:00 - Overview of discourse analysis and how to collect a language sample
0:10 - Transcribing and analyzing a discourse sample
0:30 - Treatment approaches at the discourse-level
0:50 - Q/A session
1:00 - End course + quiz
Instructional level: Intermediate (Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Describe how to transcribe and score language samples for use in at least 3 different types of discourse analyses.
- Identify at least 2 different types of linguistic features that can be used for tracking progress on discourse-level goals.
- Describe the basic treatment protocol for at least 2 different discourse-level treatments approaches.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on March 18, 2021.
- The course will be available for purchase as a recorded course until March 17, 2025.
- Once you register, you will have 30 days to access and complete the course.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is the owner of Archways: Aphasia Rehabilitation Services PLLC.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.