Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Carbohydrate Counting for People with Diabetes
This functional, real-world cognitive-linguistic therapy task designed for speech-language pathologists working with people in rehabilitation settings. In 2015, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes. Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012 (World Health Organization). For people with cognitive impairments who are returning home independently, management of their diabetes can mean the difference between life and death. This task walks patients through the process of calculating a healthy level of carbohydrate intake based on their own personal goals, age, and activity level. They then practice reading actual nutrition fact labels to calculate how many carbohydrates are in a meal that they enjoy. The file includes an answer key (though answers will vary based on patient choice/preference).
Useful links for this therapy task:
- Carbohydrate Counting & Diabetes published by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
- Searchable database of nutrition labels by the USDA
- Diabetes Fact Sheet by the World Health Organization
Full access PDF is $8. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
MIX & MATCH, BUNDLE & SAVE: All Full-Access PDFs are discounted when you bundle:
- 1 for $8
- 2 for $12 ($6 each)
- 3 for $15 ($5 each)
Discount applied automatically at checkout.
If you purchase 20 color copies, 20 printed color copies will be delivered to your mailbox. Does not include access to PDF file.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
TECH SPECS: Digital download. 8.5 x 11 inches. 5 pages (plus answer key). PDF format. 3.1 MB.
Other resources you might like:
Speech Uncensored Podcast: S2:E4 Assessing Functional Needs in the Adult Neurologic Population with Sarah Baar, MS, CCC-SLP