Med SLP Bundle: Cognitive-Linguistic Planning, Problem Solving, and Calculating Tasks
The Cognitive-Linguistic Planning, Problem Solving, and Calculating Tasks Bundle includes the following files:
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Calculating and Problem Solving Beer Brewing Scenarios
- This structured therapy task is designed for therapists working with adults in rehabilitation settings. Whether your patient has any experience brewing beer, or maybe just likes beer, or maybe just wants a break from other structured problem solving tasks, this handout provides the information needed to answer three questions that involve basic calculations and problem solving. All information required to complete the calculations is included. Answer key included.
- Cognitive-linguistic Task: Calculating Tips at a Restaurant
- This task is designed for therapists targeting higher level cognitive-linguistic tasks within a rehabilitation setting. Patients are given a set of 5 receipts and asked to calculate a tip they might leave at a restaurant based on those receipts. Targets visual tracking, basic functional math, and organization.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Carbohydrate Counting for People with Diabetes
- This functional, real-world cognitive-linguistic therapy task designed for therapists working with people in rehabilitation settings. In 2015, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes. Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012 (World Health Organization). For people with cognitive impairments who are returning home independently, management of their diabetes can mean the difference between life and death. This task walks patients through the process of calculating a healthy level of carbohydrate intake based on their own personal goals, age, and activity level. They then practice reading actual nutrition fact labels to calculate how many carbohydrates are in a meal that they enjoy. The file includes an answer key (though answers will vary based on patient choice/preference).
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Finding gift card balances and calculating costs using remaining balances
- Task designed for therapists working with teens and adults in rehabilitation settings. The task requires patients to use the 1-800 number or the website listed on gift cards cards to find out the remaining balances on each card and then answer questions requiring basic calculations of costs of items. File includes answer key.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Lemonade Stand Business Plan
- Designed for therapists working with patients in cognitive-linguistic rehabilitation settings. This higher level cognitive task requires basic addition and multiplication skills to help kids put together a business plan for a basic lemonade stand. Patients are challenged to calculate cost per cup of lemonade based on recipe as well as profit per cup based on various price points.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Navigating a Menu and Calculating Costs
- A cognitive-linguistic therapy task designed to challenge working memory, attention, calculation, planning, and organizing. Clients are challenged to calculate different costs for food items, calculate if a few pints of beer is more expensive than a pitcher, or, for an added bonus, convert prices from a New Zealand menu into U.S. dollars. Great for patients working on visual tracking as well as the above-mentioned cognitive-linguistic skills.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Planning and Organizing a Week Based on 6 Voicemails
This task provides a real-world scenario where patients are given 6 voicemail tasks with various information (e.g., the veterinarian calling with information on when to pick up pet meds or a friend calling to set up a time for dinner together). They are provided with a weekly calendar. A transcript of the voicemails is also available.
- 6 voicemail files in MP3 format
- Weekly calendar template
- Voicemail transcripts
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Preparing a 1040EZ Tax Form Based on a Sample W2
Filing taxes requires working memory, sustained and alternating attention, calculation, and problem solving. This task is designed as a basic practice for those who are working towards improving these skills and/or ultimately a goal of filing their taxes independently. Includes answer key.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Telling and Calculating Time
- This task is designed for therapists working with adults in rehabilitation settings working on being able to read clocks, tell time, and calculate time in functional situations.
- Cognitive-Linguistic Task: Writing a Grocery List Based on Recipes for a Dinner Party
- Designed for therapists working with patients in cognitive-linguistic therapy settings. This functional therapy task requires patients to create a grocery shopping list based on a set of recipes for a dinner party. Includes recipes and blank structured shopping list.
- Financial Management for Cognitive-Linguistic Rehabilitation
- Includes receipts, bills, and payments that patients sort into a ledger to calculate account balance.
- Medication Management for Cognitive-Linguistic Rehabilitation
- Medication management therapy task for therapists including fake prescription labels, blank tracking docs, and 21 pictures of pill boxes.
- Memory Log Template for People with Memory Impairments
- This memory log is designed for rehab therapists working with people who have memory impairments. The first of the 2 page template captures names of therapists, doctors, therapy goals, events leading to hospitalization and current location. The second page can be filled out each day the patient is in the facility and captures what was accomplished with each therapy discipline, appointments, medical notes, visitor notes, medication tracking, and general reminders.
Full access PDF is $65. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
Please note that zipped files and PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
Tech specs: Digital download. 83 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches + MP3 voicemail files for voicemail task. Zipped file that unzips to MP3 and PDF formats. 120 MB. Must be opened on a computer, not a phone or tablet.