Where We Fail Children with Acquired Brain Injury – And What to Do About It
Presented by Jessica Brown, PhD, CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionOf children who experience brain injury between 5 – 15 years of age, less than 40% return for follow-up visits in first year post-injury. In this talk, we will discuss the perceived and real barriers to service access for this population and highlight current evidence supporting a variety of intervention techniques aimed at maximizing cognitive […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Summarize relevant literature supporting the type and frequency of services accessed by pediatric populations with acquired brain injury.
- Evaluate facilitators and barriers to services for children with acquired brain injury in clinical practice.
- Develop therapeutic techniques and strategies to enhance cognition and communication for children with acquired brain injury.
- 0:00 - Introduction to pediatric acquired brain injury; discussion of common outcomes and challenges
- 0:10 - Current service provision trends following pediatric acquired brain injury; facilitators and barriers to service access
- 0:20 - Enhancing service access and making small changes with big impact
- 0:30 - Recommended assessment and treatment practices for speech-language pathologists working with this population
- 0:45 - Case study highlighting implementation of best practices
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter receives a salary from the University of Arizona.
- Presenter has grants associated with the University of Arizona.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Presenter discusses a case study: Alexis Verzal.
- Presenter is a member of: American Congress of Rehabilitative Medicine; Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences; American Speech-Language-Hearing Association; National Institute of Health.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.