Transgender-Affirmative Care: Identifying and Overcoming Barriers to Care for Transgender Patients
Presented by Oak Reed, MA
Course DescriptionTransgender individuals, often highly stigmatized and discriminated against, face multiple barriers when it comes to being affirmed within their gender identity. A particularly challenging barrier regards seeking routine- and transition-related physical and mental health care. The purpose of this course is to provide easily consumable, evidence-based content that addresses basic transgender terminology, barriers to care […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This course qualifies for 10 CMH (certified maintenance hours).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe demographics and define appropriate terminology.
- Identify and describe the health disparities that transgender populations face.
- Characterize the unique primary care needs of transgender patients.
- Identify transgender-specific factors that influence the populations’ access to and experiences with the US healthcare system, including quality of care and the patient–provider relationship.
- Name support services available to transgender patients.
- Identify sources of quality information on the care of transgender patients.
- Describe ongoing and upcoming research questions in transgender healthcare.
- 0:00 - Introductions and lecture begins
- 0:50 - Finalize lecture and address any remaining questions from participants
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- I, Oak Reed, self-disclose my gender identity during the presentation, revealing my personal relationship to the topic.
- Presenter reveals a bias toward non-discrimination toward transgender individuals.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.