Modern Aging: Physiological Processes and Societal Responses
Presented by Caroline Morris, PT, DPT, GCS, WHC and Shweta Subramani, PT, MHS,FSOAE Certified Exercise Expert in Aging Adults (CEEAA) Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT)
Course DescriptionThis course will provide a brief overview of normal aging processes, ageism, the attitudes of individuals, healthcare students, educators as well as providers, its impact on clinical practice, evidence-based interventions to reduce ageism, as well as self reflection assessments. Upon completion of this course, participants will have a greater understanding of ageism in healthcare and […]
Meet Your Presenter
Caroline Morris is a physical therapist, health coach, and educator who is passionate about transforming the health of her patients and clients. She is an engaging presenter and incorporates reflective learning principles into her courses. Caroline has spent the majority of her career rehabilitating patients with high medical complexity in the acute care and outpatient settings. She currently acts as a Staff Development Specialist, where she supports therapists in improving their practice and collaborates with other disciplines to improve overall patient care. Caroline founded Morris Clinic in 2019 as a vehicle to provide education and wellness services to older adults and their caregivers. She is also the host of the Elder Health Connection podcast.
Shweta Subramani is a physical therapist with her bachelor’s in physical therapy from India and a master’s degree in health sciences from the University of Indianapolis with emphasis in neurological physical therapy. She has a passion for geriatrics and has experience working in skilled nursing, outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation and acute care. She is the past Vice Chair of the APTA Geriatrics Balance and Falls Special Interest group, current Secretary of the APTA Oncology Balance and Falls Special Interest group and the Director of Membership/Communications for the APTA Oncology Lymphatic diseases SIG as well as volunteers for different sections of the APTA. She currently practices as a travel acute care therapist, holds certifications in Lymphedema, Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall prevention, LSVT BIG, PWR!, and is a Certified Exercise Expert in Aging Adults and Functional Standards for Optimal Aging expert.
- This course has been Approved by CERS, an Approval Agency for the California Board of Physical Therapy. CERS Course Approval #: 22-50899-1.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of aging in the function of various body systems.
- Define ageism.
- Describe implications of ageism in clinical practice.
- Outline strategies for reducing age related biases and ageism.
- Reflect on personal biases and attitudes.
- 0:00 - Welcome & Intro
- 0:05 - Overview of aging by body system
- 0:35 - Introduction to ageism
- 0:40 - Impacts of ageism
- 0:45 - Interventions for the clinician
- 0:50 - Self reflection
- 0:55 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenters are being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter A is a salaried faculty member of Virginia Hospital center and Marymount University.
- Presenter B is the PT course developer for Therapy Insights.
- Presenter B is a clinical therapist with Concentric Healthcare Staffing, AZ.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Presenter B volunteers with APTA Geriatrics, APTA Oncology and APTA Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy in different capacities.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.