Presented by Oak Reed, Ph.D.
Course DescriptionClinicians and patients equally struggle with stress and anxiety (among other mental health symptoms) that can impact energy, motivation, and, ultimately, therapeutic outcomes. There are several brief behavioral health interventions that actively target physiological and psychological symptoms of stress and anxiety that are simple, effective, straightforward to use, and easy to teach.
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level; Professional Area).
- This course has been Approved by CERS, an Approval Agency for the California Board of Physical Therapy. CERS Course Approval #: 22-50835-1.
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID #04094. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe physiological and psychological symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Identify outcomes of poorly managed stress and anxiety for clinicians and patients.
- Recognize behavioral strategies for managing stress and anxiety.
- Explain how these strategies typically reduce physical and psychological symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Develop language to teach behavioral strategies to patients.
- 0:00 - Introduction of presenter and training background
- 0:01 - Course introduction and objectives
- 0:02 - Discuss physiological and psychological symptoms of stress and anxiety
- 0:10 - Examples of how stress and anxiety present in patients in outpatient and inpatient settings
- 0:13 - Examples of how stress and anxiety present in clinicians
- 0:16 - Introduce and describe diaphragmatic breathing
- 0:24 - Introduce and describe progressive muscle relaxation
- 0:32 - Introduce and describe mental imagery
- 0:40 - Introduce and describe 5-senses orientation
- 0:48 - Recommend language regarding teaching behavioral strategies to patients
- 0:50 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter receives a salary from the University of Virginia.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
- Presenter will share with the listeners some of his personal experiences with using these techniques as a health care professional but also an individual. Although there are a number of behavioral interventions for stress and anxiety, he has chosen the four for this course based on the literature but also my personal interest/benefit in the skills.
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.