Complex Cases in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Presented by Heidi Lynn Miller, M.S. CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionThis course will review multiple complex cases in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) setting, specifically the speech language pathologist’s role and special considerations of this particular treatment setting. Attention to critical thinking skills and working on a team in a high-stress environment will be explored.
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify objectives for SLP consults in the PICU setting.
- List the steps of treating multiple complex cases.
- Describe ways to build stronger interdisciplinary teamwork in PICU.
- 0:00 - Intro to the PICU
- 0:05 - Types of consults received by SLPs
- 0:15 - Case Study #1: Trach/vent
- 0:25 - Case Study #2: TBI
- 0:35 - Case Study #3: Complex respiratory issues
- 0:45 - Critical skills for all cases in PICU, cultural and social factors in play
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter receives a salary from the University of Virginia Health System.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.