Autism: Understand, Counsel, and Support
Presented by Alyssa Williams M.S. CCC-SLP
Course DescriptionThis presentation identifies and discusses specific early pre-verbal, verbal, and social features of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and common co-occurring factors. It discusses when to refer a child for an autism evaluation and how to communicate with your client’s caregiver. The presenters will discuss ASD-specific assessments that may be utilized in an evaluation. The presentation […]
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level).
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe the characteristics of what autism is and what autism is not.
- Decide when to refer for an autism evaluation and how to communicate these concerns with a caregiver.
- Explain the difference between natural language acquisition and analytic language acquisition.
- Demonstrate how to collaborate with other disciplines and how an autistic child may benefit from a variety of therapy disciplines.
- Describe how to write goals, implement treatment approaches, and educate caregivers while considering autism inclusivity.
- 0:00 - DSM-V: What is autism?
- 0:15 - When to refer, evaluation process
- 0:25 - Natural language acquisition vs. analytic language learners
- 0:35 - Goal writing
- 0:40 - Treatment approach, collaboration with other disciplines (feeding therapy, occupational therapy, etc)
- 0:50 - Counseling parents: What will this look like for my child?
- 0:55 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.