Presented by Kelly Casey, OTD, OTR/L, BCPR, ATP, CPAM
Course DescriptionAmyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a devastating progressive neuromuscular disease. Knowledge of the advances in equipment, technology, and therapeutic interventions help guide treatment for patients facing ever-changing challenges. This course will review the specific recommendations, equipment, and technology focused on keeping patients engaged in meaningful activities.
Meet Your Presenter
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Intermediate Level; Professional Area).
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID 01843. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU.
- This course has been Approved by CERS, an Approval Agency for the California Board of Physical Therapy. CERS Course Approval #: 21-50625-1.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe ALS and the evidence supporting therapeutic intervention for persons with ALS.
- Identify at least three pieces of adaptive equipment appropriate for patients at various stages of ALS.
- Identify at least three pieces of assistive technology appropriate for patients at various stages of ALS.
- Identify at least three recommended referrals or resources addressing the needs of persons with ALS.
- 0:00 - Description of ALS, evidence supporting multidisciplinary care, pharmacological interventions, exercise, evidence for interventions.
- 0:15 - Adaptive equipment and recommendations for: ADL - clothing, IADL, driving, transportation, travel, leisure activities.
- 0:30 - Functional mobility, powered wheelchair, home modifications, and splinting.
- 0:35 - Assistive technology – smart home technology, AAC, computer access, patient cases.
- 0:45 - Additional bulbar ALS recommendations, as well as respiratory and cognitive considerations.
- 0:50 - Funding considerations, support groups, community resources.
- 0:55 - Q/A
- 1:00 - End course + quiz
Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.
Live Course Information
Recorded Course Information
Instructor Financial Disclosures
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried faculty member who conducts research related to the content of this presentation. Her employer is Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Presenter holds a grant through the Johns Hopkins Woman’s Board. Presenter receives honoraria from the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Instructor Non-financial Disclosures
Certificates of Completion
Refunds & Cancellation
Please see our full refund and cancellation policies here.