Presentation Slide Deck: Dysphagia
This presentation can be used to provide education about dysphagia to healthcare workers or family members. It explains why swallowing problems are something to be concerned about and how care partners can help the person with dysphagia. Can be edited in Keynote or PowerPoint to tailor to your specific presentation needs.
Includes a pre-quiz with 10 questions about the presentation content. We recommend providing this to your audience before the presentation so that you can tailor your presentation to address specific gaps in knowledge for each group of learners.
- Slide 1: Dysphagia: All about swallowing disorders, or “dis-fay-juh”
- Slide 2: What are we going to learn?
- Slide 3: Why is this so important?
- Slide 4: Learning objectives
- Slide 5: What is dysphagia
- Slide 6: Who is at risk for dysphagia?
- Slide 7: Who treats dysphagia?
- Slide 8: The phases of swallowing
- Slide 9: Signs and symptoms
- Slide 10: Health risks
- Slide 11: Aspiration pneumonia
- Slide 12: Risk factors for aspiration pneumonia
- Slide 13: Oral care and dysphagia
- Slide 14: Bacteria from the mouth enters the body
- Slide 15: A good oral hygiene program
- Slide 16: Strategies
- Slide 17: Thickened Liquids
- Slide 18: How to thicken liquids
- Slide 19: Thickened liquid precautions
- Slide 20: Free Water Protocol
- Slide 21: What is a modified diet with the National Dysphagia Diet (NDD)?
- Slide 22: What is a modified diet with the International Dysphagia Diet (IDDSI)?
- Slide 23: Compensatory strategies
- Slide 24: A note on NPO status
- Slide 25: What you can do
- Slide 26: References
Tech specs: This is a large zipped file that needs to be unzipped to access the following files. Digital download. 27 slides. Keynote format (293 MB), Powerpoint format (270 MB), and PDF format (350 MB). Pre-quiz is PDF format (91 KB).
**Note that this is a very large download (1.1 GB) and should be downloaded to a computer, not a phone or tablet. Do not download at a workplace network with strict firewall settings, which will block the full download.**