Course Webinar: The Feeding/Oral-Motor/Speech Connection: Diagnosing and Treatment
Course description: In this course, we explore how structure and motor function has an impact on speech and language development. We cover what red flags might indicate a problem beyond a general speech and language delay in the pediatric population. We discuss how we can begin to differentially diagnose developmental delays from motor speech disorders, even before our client may be using verbal communication.
Presented by Renee Roy Hill M.S., CCC-SLP
Date: Thursday, September 16th, 2021
Time: 2 pm pacific | 3 pm mountain | 4 pm central | 5 pm eastern
Renee is a speech-language pathologist and certified orofacial myologist, with more than 20 years of professional experience. She currently has a private practice, Crossroads Therapy Clinic in New Braunfels, Texas where she provides therapeutic assessment and program planning for clients who have oral-placement, feeding, and motor speech deficits. Renee has been an international lecturer for TalkTools® since 2002, where she teaches on the topics of motor speech, apraxia, Autism, and orofacial myofunctional disorders. She has professional affiliations with ASHA, and the Texas Speech-Language and Hearing Association, as well as being a board member for the Oral Motor Institute.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: This course is designed for speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists who work with children.
Agenda:0:00 - Overview of pediatric speech disorders
0:10 - Red flags for motor speech disorders
0:20 - Tips for identifying OMD's
0:30 - Tips for identifying motor speech disorders
0:40 -Therapy considerations following differential diagnosis
0:50 - Q/A
0:60 - End presentation
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Identify red flags for motor speech disorders.
- List at least three evaluation tips for identifying an OMD in the pediatric population.
- List at least three evaluation tips for identifying motor speech disorders.
- Describe the connection between oral motor development and expressive speech clarity.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by September 23, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until September 15, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a lecturer for TalkTools therapy and receives honorariums for courses.
- Presenter is part owner of Talk Tools.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.