Med SLP Bundle: Brain Injury Handouts (Pack 1)
- Handout: Anosognosia
- This handout is designed for speech-language pathologists encountering anosognosia when working with people who have survived brain injuries. The handout is a resource for staff, family, friends, and caregivers and describes the symptoms, risks, etiology, and strategies associated with anosognosia.
- Handout: 10 Major Symptoms of Left vs. Right Brain Damage
- This handout provides simplified breakdown of the basic differences between left and right brain damage with a specific focus on aphasia, alexia, dyscalculia, apraxia, agnosia, left neglect, insight, inhibition, music, and symbols.
- Handout: Alexia
This handout is designed for SLPs working with people who have lost the ability to recognize letters and/or to read. The handout describes what alexia is, how it occurs, and how SLPs can help.
- Handout: Bath Salts and Cognition
- This handout is designed for SLPs working in rehabilitation settings to address cognitive-linguistic impairments related to bath salt overdose. Bath salts are a relatively new street drug in the United States and long-term cognitive effects remain largely unknown. This handout describes what bath salts are and what we do know about how they effect cognition.
- Handout: Brain Injury and Rest
- This handout describes the need for the brain to rest after an injury in order to heal with a brief discussion about why the struggle between the need for sleep and the increased difficulty the brain has getting sleep after a brain injury. The handout includes 9 specific strategies that patients can implement themselves and 10 ways that family, friends, and medical staff can help.
- Handout: Brain Injury Symptoms According to Location of Brain Damage
Handout designed for rehabilitation therapists/specialists to outline how different parts of the brain will present with different symptoms when damaged. This handout outlines the following structures:
- Temporal lobe
- The arcuate fasciculus
- Occiptal lobe
- Parietal lobe
- Frontal lobe
- and a special note on the unique nature of each brain
- Handout: CPAP Use and Cognitive Function
- This handout describes the link between CPAP use and cognitive functions. The handout includes two research studies and a clear outline of how sleep affects specific cognitive functions.
- Handout: Korsakoff Syndrome
- This handout is designed for patients and families who are facing Korsakoff syndrome, a chronic memory disorder caused by severe deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B-1).
- Handout: Left Neglect
- This handout is designed for SLPs and other rehabilitation specialists working with people in rehabilitation settings who are experiencing left neglect or hemispatial neglect. The handout is appropriate for healthcare providers, caregivers, patients, and family members. The handout describes what left neglect is, what its symptoms are, the risks associated with this condition, and a small collection of treatment options and strategies. The handout includes visuals to help describe the type of brain lesions that cause visual neglect.
- Handout: Speech Therapy and the Brain
Handout illustrating the cognitive-linguistic scope of practice for Speech-Language Pathologists. This handout describes a brief history of the field of Speech-Language Pathology as well as breaks down the following cognitive-linguistic therapy targets:
- Impulse Control
- Problem Solving
- Visuospatial Processing
- Tips for Thriving After Surviving a Concussion
- 12 practical tips for those who have survived a concussion. Handout designed for SLPs working in cognitive-linguistic rehabilitation settings. This handout is designed to provide education to patients and their families to promote follow-through for self-care after this type of brain injury.
- Handout: What is Encephalopathy?
- Many patients who come to a rehabilitation facility and are referred to speech-language pathologists have this catch-all diagnosis on their H&P. A diagnosis of encephalopathy is usually a starting point- it's acknowledging that something has changed, but maybe we're not totally sure why or how yet. It's a red flag and allows us as SLPs to use our unique position within a structured therapeutic environment to monitor for more long-term changes in cognition and refer to neurologists, neuro-psychologists, and other specialists as appropriate to further investigate the root cause. This handout describes some of the more common types of encephalopathy and can be a good place to start the discussion and referral process.
- A Visual Model of Cognition
Based on Yehuda's Ben-Yishay's work on understanding cognitive rehabilitation, which has been carried forward by the work of Alan Baddeley's research on working memory, this visual describes how cognition is a layered system, requiring the abilities to sustain attention, process this information in an efficient manner, recall this information, and then transform information into more complex thoughts and actions.
- Handout: Rancho Los Amigos Scale for Families
- This handout is designed for SLPs working with people in rehabilitation settings. This handout features a 10-stage version of the Rancho Los Amigos scale for those recovering from severe brain injuries. The handout describes each of the 10 stages and provides specific strategies for how families can interact and engage with their loved one during each stage.
- Handout: Chemotherapy-Induced Cognitive Impairment (Chemo Brain)
- This handout is designed for rehabilitation therapists working with people in rehabilitation settings after enduring intensive chemotherapy treatment. We are just now beginning to understand the effects that chemotherapy has on the brain, including mental fog difficulty concentrating, and short-term/working memory impairments. This handout describes why these symptoms occur as well as how skilled therapy can help resolve these symptoms.
- TBI Support Group Poster Template
Basic blank template to advertise a local brain injury support group. Includes the following text:
- Talk about life with a brain injury
- Learn the latest about brain injury
- Share your experiences and knowledge
- Learn and share coping strategies
- Connect with others who understand
- With blank spaces for date, time, location, leader names, cost, and contact info
Tech specs: Digital download. 19 pages. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 80.5 MB.