Handout: Dysphagia Diet Textures
Front/back handout outlining dysphagia diets. Designed for speech-language pathologists to give to patients, nurses, dieticians, kitchen staff, etc.
Dysphagia diet textures can be a mysterious thing. It’s not like weight-bearing status, where one patient is generally consistent with another patient when the doctor says, “This person can handle 50% of their body weight on their left leg.”
No, dysphagia is a totally different animal.
“This person can handle thin liquids in the morning but not pudding ever and on some days, if things are going well and their meds are on time, they can do mechanical soft, except for cheese and bread and sour fruit, and really they need to tilt their head due to some past radiation treatment and sometimes they forget to do this due to a TIA.”
As my dysphagia professor used to say: “If your swallow precautions start to sound like a Starbucks order, no one’s going to follow them.”
So I say: Keep it simple.
Use this handout to highlight your recommended diet texture and liquid thickness. What I love about this handout is that the why takes up more than half the page. If you’re going to ask CNAs, dietitians, kitchen staff, patients, family, friends, caregivers, and fellow therapists to follow your recommendations, it’s nice to have your reasons right in front for all to see.
Recently, the staff at my facility got together and agreed to embark on the national dysphagia diet. It’s been a fun process and has resulted in the design of this handout. I hope that you can find it useful, too.
This therapy intervention visual is designed for therapists addressing /f/ and /v/ sounds during phonological therapy. Divided into initial, medial, and final words for both /f/ and /v/ with engaging pictures.
Full access PDF is $8. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
MIX & MATCH, BUNDLE & SAVE: All Full-Access PDFs are discounted when you bundle:
- 1 for $8
- 2 for $12 ($6 each)
- 3 for $15 ($5 each)
Discount applied automatically at checkout.
If you purchase 20 color copies, 20 printed color copies will be delivered to your mailbox. Does not include access to PDF file.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
TECH SPECS: Digital download (7.2 MB). PDF format, 2 pages. 8.5x11 inches. High resolution (300 dpi).