Financial Management for Cognitive-Linguistic Rehabilitation
Digital download for cognitive-linguistic therapy targeting financial management to empower independence by instilling confidence in a therapeutic setting.
Financial Management: Empowering independence
When I was little, my father gifted me three pint-size plastic toy trash cans. Every week he gave me $1.50 in allowance. It was split three ways in the cans between giving, savings, and spending. He gave me a small plastic index-card holder and encouraged me to track that $1.50 every week in a budget.
It's a gift I have been grateful for all my life. It has been something that has empowered me to make thoughtful financial decisions with confidence.
I think that giving patients in cognitive-linguistic therapy the chance to practice financial management in a therapeutic environment before returning to independent living is one of the most empowering things we can offer during a rehabilitation stay. I have seen patients transform in front of me, starting the task with self-doubt and anxiety. Slowly, their eyes light up, and by the end of the session, they're saying: "I can do this."
I have made many photocopies of photocopies of workbook budget tasks and eyed a drawer full of fake check blanks from time to time (I guess some people still use checks?). But ultimately, I wanted to offer my patients something real and tangible- something they might see spread out across their dining room table at home. And so I created this financial management task- a simple, realistic spread of receipts ripe for all kinds of therapeutic tasks. Inside this download, you'll find all the receipt pages, the ledger document, and a list of ideas you might want to use during your sessions.
See it in action
What's included in the digital download
- 16 receipts
- Pay stub
- Utilities bill
- Cell phone bill
- Power bill
- 2 notes
Ideas for therapy tasks when using this material
- Go through actual bills with patients and set a real budget.
- Find local resources for patients who are leaving the facility. Many banks offer free assistance with balancing budgets.
- Collect free calculator giveaways from companies. Send a calculator home with the patient so they have a higher chance of carry-over.
- Use "real" money for patients who need more concrete visual aids.
- Send copies of ledgers home with patients to improve carry-over.
- Offer training in various budget maintenance strategies: Envelope/cash system, debit card system, checkbook system
- Have the patient track spending while in the facility.
- Spend some time during a session brainstorming ways to save money.
This therapy intervention visual is designed for therapists addressing /f/ and /v/ sounds during phonological therapy. Divided into initial, medial, and final words for both /f/ and /v/ with engaging pictures.
Full access PDF is $8. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
MIX & MATCH, BUNDLE & SAVE: All Full-Access PDFs are discounted when you bundle:
- 1 for $8
- 2 for $12 ($6 each)
- 3 for $15 ($5 each)
Discount applied automatically at checkout.
If you purchase 20 color copies, 20 printed color copies will be delivered to your mailbox. Does not include access to PDF file.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
TECH SPECS: Digital download (30.7 MB). PDF format. 16 pages, 8.5x11 inches. High resolution (300 dpi).