Course Webinar: Respiratory Muscle Training for the Treatment of Dysphagia
Course description: Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) is a device-driven therapy with a growing evidence base. In this course, participants will learn about applications of RMT in the treatment of oropharyngeal dysphagia.
Presented by Brooke Richardson, MS, CCC-SLP
Date: Monday, August 16, 2021
Time: 11:30 am pacific | 12:30 pm mountain | 1:30 pm central | 2:30 pm eastern
Brooke Richardson, MS, CCC-SLP is a Medical Speech-Language Pathologist in Raleigh, NC, USA. She has more than 12 years of experience treating adults with complex medical needs in the acute and outpatient settings. She has been instrumental in establishing Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) programs in multiple healthcare facilities, and has spoken internationally on RMT. Brooke also values exceptional-quality continuing education for other MedSLPs, and seeks to improve our patient care by emphasizing the importance of understanding a patient's whole medical picture when evaluating and treating.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Speech-language pathologists who work with adults.
0:00: Overview of respiratory anatomy/physiology; principles of strength training
0:10: Introduction to respiratory muscle training
0:20: Evidence for Expiratory Muscle Training in normal and disordered swallowing
0:40: Device selection; incorporating RMT into the dysphagia toolbox
0:50: Q/A session
1:00: Course ends + quiz
Instructional level: Intermediate (Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter.)
Key learning outcomes:
- Name at least two considerations for candidacy for respiratory muscle training and dysphagia.
- Summarize relevant literature supporting respiratory muscle training in dysphagia.
- List two evidence-based treatment devices used for respiratory muscle training.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on August 17, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until August 17, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- UNC Rex Hospital (employee) MedSLP Consultants (owner)
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.