Course Webinar: Promoting Literacy in Preschoolers
Course description: Literacy is an area that many speech-language pathologists feel under-prepared to treat. Despite this, it falls squarely into our scope of practice. This course will outline five key components of early literacy and discuss early literacy skills for preschoolers. It will provide practical ways that foundational skills can be incorporated into speech and language sessions.
Presented by Corie Viscomi, M.A. CCC-SLP
Date: Thursday, October 14th, 2021
Time: 1 pm pacific | 2 pm mountain | 3 pm central | 4 pm eastern
Corie Viscomi is a speech-language pathologist who is passionate about helping children of all ages and abilities achieve their communicative potential. She graduated with honors from Binghamton University, where she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Development. She then earned her Master of Arts degree in Communication Disorders from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Corie is the owner and director of The Speech Studio, a private practice in New York. She recently earned ASHA's Award for Continuing Education for a third time, a formal recognition for speech pathologists who have demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: This course is designed for speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists who work with children.
0:00 - Overview of pediatric speech disorders
0:05 - Component 1: Phonological awareness overview and activities
0:13 - Component 2: Print awareness overview and activities
0:21 - Component 3: Book reading overview and activities
0:29 - Component 4: Storytelling overview and activities
0:37 - Component 5: Writing overview and activities
0:45 - Q&A session
0:60 - End course
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Identify why literacy is within the SLP's scope.
- List key components of early literacy.
- Describe activities that can be utilized for each component.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by October 21, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until October 14, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is the owner of The Speech Studio.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 3-5 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.