Course Webinar: Occupational Therapy and Mental Health: An Overview
Course description: Regardless of your role in occupational therapy, all areas of practice will encounter individuals with mental illness and across the spectrum of mental health. This course aims to provide a broad overview of occupational therapy’s role in mental health, including practical tools to address mental health across all practice areas.
Presented by Quinn Tyminski, OTD, OTR/L, BCMH
Live course date: Friday, January 21, 2022
Time: 11 am pacific | 12 pm mountain | 1 pm central | 2 pm eastern
Dr. Quinn Tyminski currently serves as an Instructor in the Program of Occupational Therapy and Washington University School of Medicine (WUSM). She earned her master’s degree in occupational therapy from WUSM in 2012 and her clinical doctorate in occupational therapy in 2017 from Saint Louis University. She is the founder and Director of the Community Independence Occupational Therapy Clinic for individuals experiencing homelessness. Dr. Tyminski’ s research focuses on improving occupational participation and quality of life for populations experiencing marginalization through providing occupation-based services targeted at improving life skills and community re-integration.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants working with adults in acute care, home health, outpatient and rehabilitation settings.
Course accreditation: Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID 03729. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU.
0:00 - Overview of mental health (MH) in OT
0:10 - Mental Health Toolbox
0:15 - DSM and OT
0:25 - Occupational performance and MH
0:40 - MH OT intervention ideas
0:50 - Q/A Session
1:00 - End course + exam
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Identify the three tiers of mental health service provision.
- Describe the impact of mental health on occupational performance.
- Describe an intervention to improve mental health.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by January 28, 2022.
- The course will be available for CEUs until January 21, 2027.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried faculty member who conducts research related to the content of this presentation. Her employer is Washington University School of Medicine.
- Presenter has created mental health content for Medbridge and Simucase.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 3-5 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.