Course Webinar: Motivational Interviewing: The Basics
ACCESS PASS subscribers — please log in to see special discounted rates.
Motivational Interviewing: The Basics
Course description: This course addresses the therapeutic intervention and rationale for the use of motivational interviewing. We describe the evidence base for motivational interviewing, identify the core principles of motivational interviewing, name the stages of change, and define S.M.A.R.T. goals.
Presented by Oak Reed, M.A.
Date: Monday, November 30, 2020
Time: 4 pm pacific | 5 pm mountain | 6 pm central | 7 pm eastern
Oak Reed earned his BS in psychology and sociology from Central Michigan University, his MA in clinical psychology from the University of Montana, and is currently a 6th year doctoral candidate at the University of Montana. He recently defended his dissertation which investigated the impact of transgender-affirmative care training on healthcare providers' competence and confidence in delivering adequate care to gender minority individuals. Oak is currently completing his residency at the Milwaukee VA Medical Center with a focus on behavioral medicine. Over the years, he has worked across diverse clinical settings, including outpatient mental health and university-based primary care clinics, community-based outpatient medical centers, and a variety of clinics within Veterans Health Administration. Across those settings, he has worked with a range of patient concerns, including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, severe mental illness, trauma-related disorders, as well as difficulties with physical activity, dietary practices, sleep hygiene, and substance use. As a result of his interest in integrated care, Oak has received specialized training on utilizing empirically-supported practices (e.g., Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Motivational Interviewing) that adapt well to brief-treatment models in order to meet the needs and preferences of diverse patient populations.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Speech, physical, and occupational therapists wanting to incorporate motivational interviewing into their clinical practice to improve patient participation and outcomes.
0:00: Presenter introduction
0:02: Definition, rational, & evidence base for Motivational Interviewing
0:15: Core principles of Motivational Interviewing
0:20: Stages of Change
0:30: Change Talk
0:45: Smart Goals
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Introductory Level; Related Area).
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID #01413. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU. Introductory, Occupational Therapy Service Delivery.
ASHA subject code: Service Delivery Associated With Speech, Language, Hearing, and Related Disorders – 7010
ASHA content area: R—Related: Study pertaining to the understanding of human behavior, both typical and atypical, as well as services available from related professions that apply to the contemporary practices of audiology and/or speech-language pathology.
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Course pre-requisites: None.
Key learning outcomes:
- Define the therapeutic intervention of motivational interviewing and rational for its use
- Describe the evidence base for motivational interviewing
- Identify the core elements of motivational interviewing
- Name the stages of change in the motivational interviewing theory
- Recognize the specific therapeutic skills and strategies
- Define S.M.A.R.T. goals
- Identify the use of motivational interviewing across clinical professions
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on December 1, 2020.
- The course will be available for purchase as a recorded course until December 1, 2025.
- Once you register, you will have 30 days to access and complete the course.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.
- Once the exam is completed and you have provided feedback about the course, you will receive an emailed certificate of completion with course title, course instructor name/title, learning objectives, your name, your license number (if desired), and a signature from the CE Task Force director confirming completion of course.
Special accommodations: Please email us with any special needs (e.g., people with hearing loss, people with learning disabilities, etc) prior to the event.
Complaint policy: In the event that an individual is not satisfied with the organization’s continuing education program, we request a formal letter of complaint from the individual that outlines their concerns in writing. For more information, please read our full complaint policy.
For non- Access Pass subscribers: If a customer purchases a single pass to a course and the course is canceled, they will receive a 100% refund. If the course is rescheduled, they will not receive a refund, but will be provided with information via email and website announcement regarding the new date and time.
Refund policy in the event that a participant cancels their registration.
In the event that a participant/subscriber registers for the live course and then cancels participation, no refund will be provided. The participant will have the opportunity to access the recorded presentation at no additional cost as part of their subscription or registration fee.