Course Webinar: Gullah Geechee: Cultural Norms and the SLP
Course description: This course will examine the cultural & linguistic norms of the Gullah Geechee people. It will provide an overview of the language and cultural nuances that an SLP who is new to the region should expect from their clients. We will examine appropriate social and pragmatic responses to the culture and ways that clinicians can build rapport that embrace the client's cultural and linguistic diversity.
Presented by Jessica R. Berry, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2021
Time: 3 pm pacific | 4 pm mountain | 5 pm central | 6 pm eastern
Dr. Jessica Berry is an educator, advocate, and researcher who is passionate about sharing Gullah Geechee history, culture, and language with the world. She currently serves as the acting department chairperson and assistant professor of speech pathology and audiology at South Carolina State University. She completed her B.A. and M.A. in speech language pathology & audiology from Winthrop University and South Carolina State University, respectively. She completed her doctoral studies at Louisiana State University in communication disorders with a minor in linguistics.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: This course is designed for speech-language pathologists who work with adults and children.
0:00 - Overview of Gullah Geechee
0:10 - Language norms for Gullah Geechee clients
0:20 - Pragmatic and social norms for Gullah Geechee clients
0:35 - Recommendations for inclusion of Gullah Geechee references during intervention
0:50 - Q/A Session
1:00 - End of presentation + Quiz
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Describe the development of the Gullah Geechee culture and language.
- Identify appropriate pragmatic responses to their client's cultural norms.
- List ways that they can improve their response and communication with Gullah Geechee clients.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by November 30, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until November 23, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
Presenter receives a salary from South Carolina State University.
- The presenter is a native Gullah Geechee and has lived experiences that shape her perspective on service delivery.
The presenter is a member of the American Speech Language Hearing Association.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 3-5 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.