Course Webinar: Chronic Pain: Cognitive Behavioral Approach in Rehabilitation
Course description: Rehabilitation providers have begun to incorporate pain education into their treatment protocols to influence the patient’s experience, belief, and knowledge to improve their condition and it has shown to be an effective treatment option for the management of chronic pain. The purpose of this course is to familiarize approaches in managing chronic pain.
Presented by Ulysses Juntilla, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Time: 4 pm pacific | 5 pm mountain | 6 pm central | 7 pm eastern
Dr. Juntilla is a Diplomate with American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties in Orthopedic PT (OCS), a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) and an Osteopractic Physical Therapist. In addition, he is an Advanced Credentialed Clinical instructor through APTA. UL presented numerous presentations nationally and internationally in the field of Orthopedic Manual PT. Prior to working at the VHA, he was a member of the faculty at Asian Institute of Medical Sciences, Asian College of Technology in which he taught Gross Anatomy and Physiology.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: PTs, PTAs, OTs, COTAs and SLPs who work with adults in rehabilitation settings.
- This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs, (Advanced Level; Professional Area).
- Therapy Insights is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID 02968. This webinar is offered at 1 CEU.
- This course has been Approved by CERS, an Approval Agency for the California Board of Physical Therapy. CERS Course Approval #: 21-50692-1.
0:00 - Definition of pain, epidemiology
0:10 - Acute versus chronic pain
0:20 - Sensitizations (peripheral and central)
0:30 - Outcome measures
0:40 - Barriers, facilitators in chronic pain management
0:50 - Cognitive behavioral approaches
1:00 - End course + exam
Instructional level: Advanced (Information is geared to practitioners with a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter based on current theories and standards of practice as well as current literature and research. Focus is on recent advances and trends, and or research.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Discriminate common outcome measures used in measuring fear avoidance, kinesiophobia and catastrophization.
- Recognize factors of persistent pain including peripheral and central sensitizations.
- Appraise the different CBT techniques utilized among rehabilitation practitioners.
- Summarize the premise of self care management in chronic pain.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by October 19, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until October 12, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried faculty member at the Department of Veterans Affairs health system in Columbia, South Carolina.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.