Course Webinar: An Introduction to Discourse Analysis and Discourse-Level Treatment for Aphasia
Course description: This course is designed to serve as an introduction to different types of discourse analyses that can be performed when working with people with aphasia. Emphasis will also be placed on discourse-level treatment approaches, and how a focus on discourse analysis and treatment can be applied using a Life Participation Approach to Aphasia.
Presented by Brett McCardel, MS, CCC-SLP
Originally presented: Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020
Brett McCardel, MS, CCC-SLP, is the owner and founder of Archways - Aphasia Rehabilitation Services, a private practice based in Seattle, WA that specializes in providing speech and language services to people with aphasia. He has worked with people with aphasia across the continuum of care and across a variety of service-delivery models (including telehealth and intensive aphasia programs). He is passionate about aphasia advocacy and promoting a Life Participation Approach to Aphasia.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: Speech-language pathologists who are providing therapy for people who have aphasia.
ASHA subject code: 3030
ASHA content area: P—Professional: Information and techniques dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of speech, language, and hearing disorders; this content code is used by audiologists and SLPs directly in their work with clients.
0:00: Overview of types of discourse and the importance of discourse analysis
0:10: Discourse analysis tasks and how to perform them
0:30: Discourse-level treatment approaches
0:45: Incorporating a life participation approach to discourse analysis and treatment
0:50: Q/A session
1:00: End presentation
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Course pre-requisites: None.
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Participants will be able to describe the differences between several types of discourse (e.g., narrative discourse, procedural discourse, expository discourse)
- Participants will be able to describe the differences between microlinguistic and macrolinguistic measures
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 discourse analysis tasks that can be performed in a clinical setting
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 discourse-level treatment approaches
- Participants will be able to describe how a focus on discourse analysis and treatment can be applied using a Life Participation Approach to Aphasia
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available on October 22, 2020.
- The course will be available for CEUs until October 22, 2025.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is the owner of Archways: Aphasia Rehabilitation Services PLLC.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 5-10 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.