Course Webinar: Ain't Misbehavin': Nobody Taught Me About That
Course description: SLPs face many challenges, including unexpected behaviors and how to deal with them. This course will give information to pediatric SLPs on behaviors you might encounter in your practice and tools for responding well.
Presented by Vicki Graham, M.S., CCC-SLP
Date: Friday, November 19th, 2021
Time: 8 am pacific | 9 am mountain | 10 am central | 11 am eastern
Vicki Graham serves as Lead Speech-language Pathologist at Dynamic Therapy Center. She has 34 years of experience in the field and has worked in a variety of environments, including schools, early intervention, hospitals, and an alternative school where she received extra training in dealing with unexpected behaviors.
Duration: 1 hour.
Target audience: This course is designed for Speech-language pathologists who work with children.
0:00 - Introduction, Behavior Is Communication—We Should Be Good At This
0:10 - Typical Challenging Behaviors in Speech Language Therapy Practice
0:20 - Challenging Behaviors in Neurotypical Population (Dysregulation/Sensory)
0:30 - More Serious Misbehavior, Defined
0:40 - Ways To Address Misbehavior
0:50 - Modeling/Tips For Parents
1:00 - Q & A
Instructional level: Introductory (Information is geared to practitioners with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. Focus is on providing general introductory information.)
Key learning outcomes:
As a result of this activity, the participant will be able to...
- Describe framework for analysis of behaviors/communication breakdowns.
- Identify challenging behaviors presented by both neurotypical and neurodiverse children.
- List techniques for responding appropriately to challenging behaviors in the clinical setting.
- This course will be presented on the Zoom platform.
- High-speed internet connection is required.
Recorded course information:
- The recorded course will be made available by November 26, 2021.
- The course will be available for CEUs until November 19, 2026.
- You may register before the course is available and will receive an email with the link to the course once it becomes available.
- Presenter is being paid by Therapy Insights to prepare and present this course.
- Presenter is a salaried employee at Dynamic Therapy Center.
Instructional methodology: Lecture
Course completion requirements:
- Full attendance during webinar, as tracked by on-time login and online presence for the duration of the course.
- Passing score of 100% on a 3-5 question quiz. You will receive immediate feedback and be able to correct answers. We want to ensure that you have the correct information as presented in this course.
- Quiz needs to be completed within 2 hours of end of course.
- Completion of program evaluation form.