Med SLP Bundle: Parkinson's Speech Therapy Materials
This bundle comes with 5 tools for speech-language pathologists working with people who have Parkinson's disease. This bundle includes:
Parkinson's and Swallowing
This handout is designed for speech-language pathologists working with people who have Parkinson's and are experiencing dysphagia. The two page handout includes a description of dysphagia, how it presents in people with Parkinson's, how the swallow works, a brief description of lingual pumping, treatment and management strategies, and complications of dysphagia for this population.
3 Swallowing Exercises for People with Parkinson’s
This handout is designed for speech-language pathologists to provide visual health literacy materials for people with Parkinson's addressing dysphagia within their clinical setting. The handout visualizes three exercises featured in the evidence base for people with Parkinson's, including: Expiratory muscle strength training (EMST), the Masako (unsure of this exercise? Check out our blog on the topic), and chin tuck against resistance (CTAR).
Dining Tools for People with Parkinson’s
This handout is designed for speech-language pathologists working with people who want to compensate for Parkinson's symptoms while dining. Features 16 pictures and labels of products currently available on the market to compensate for tremor and weak grip.
10 Voice Commands for Voice-Activated Products
This handout is designed for rehabilitation therapists working with people who no longer have the mobility or fine motor control to operate phones, computers, lights, blinds, etc. Using voice activated systems (such as the Amazon Echo or the Google Home), these patients can use voice commands to increase independence, reduce reliance on caregivers, and optimize their quality of life. This handout provides 10 voice commands to serve as a starting point for incorporating this type of technical compensatory strategy into your rehabilitation program.
Parkinson's Disease and the Sense of Time
This handout explains how Parkinson’s disease can disrupt the individual’s sense of time and this can impact accuracy with medication management and nutrition.
Full access PDF is $25. Once purchased, you may save to your computer and print as many times as needed for your clinical practice.
Please note that PDFs are not easily opened, saved, or manipulated on phones or tablets. We recommend only downloading on a computer after purchase. Digital download links will be available after payment on the checkout page and in your order confirmation via email. You will have 5 download attempts over 1 month to access the file. Only the purchaser may access and use the file for their own clinical practice.
It is ok to:
- Share a printed copy of this resource with a patient/client, their family members and friends, and non-SLP/OT/PT related staff such as nursing, home healthcare providers, physicians, CNAs, social services, dietitians, activities teams, teachers, caregivers, etc.
- Digitally share the file via online, secure, HIPAA-compliant teletherapy software platforms to any of the people listed in the above point in the context of teletherapy.
It is not ok to:
- Share any digital copy with clients outside of the context of teletherapy.
- Store these files in any publicly accessible online storage system, such as a shared Google drive or other online storage service.
- To share these files with other SLP/OT/PT related colleagues or friends. Please refer, don’t share.
Tech specs: Digital download. 6 pages + cover page. 8.5 x 11 inches. PDF format. 31 MB.